Tuesday 28 February 2012

More Tao of Eldafto

Not a sequel, more of an update.

If you read my last bit of bloggery, you'll know I'm struggling to make full time granny wrangling fit into the same headspace as story telling.  The problem is this:  granny wrangling requires me to keep my ears open and alert for untoward noises and tell tale signs of a gran in trouble, to drop everything and rush to the rescue as soon as I'm needed.  The writing/storytelling requires all my concentration be focused on key board and screen.

Not a happy mix, I'm sure you'll agree.

My solution was to start writing about it, putting it on a blog (I hate that word).  Basically, the digital equivalent of saying it aloud.

And remarkably, it seems to be working.  Since the last post, I've done the first draft of a flash fiction thing, which I'll put up here when I've had time to give it a polish.  And I've broken the spine of the next Tale from the Forest.  These interludes are important in the overall telling of Twixt the Warp and the Weft because they allow me to shine a light into other corners of my world.  As I'm almost halfway through releasing the current episode, I was starting to worry, so hitting this bastard with the broken bottle of vague coherence comes as something of a relief.


Other victories (not writing related I'm afraid): successful granny wrangling; integrating the freak and the maniac so they can occupy the same room without conflict (not so much a victory there, more the start of an ongoing campaign); marshalling boxes with Big Jim Moon (@Hypnogoria) and feeding squirrels in the park.  I find it telling that I have become the kind of man who keeps a bag of monkey nuts in the car just in case he feels like a walk in the park to feed the squirrels.


I'll try to show you something a bit more interesting next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment